Yes, it’s true. Every now and then I have dreamed about my days at Willow Creek. Why? Because I loved being a part of Willow Creek. Loved being on staff. Loved having my family be apart. And, occasionally, I’ve dreamed about it.
Let me back up
It blew my mind!
At the time, I was a youth pastor for a very traditional (both theologically and methodically) Church and I was searching for a different way to do church. Needless to say, after watching that special, I found it. Ever since that day, 17 years ago, I have admired, respected and loved Willow Creek Church.
Fast forward to 2001. I was trying to be a worship leader. I mean, I was a worship leader. But, I was a youth pastor. I loved to teach, plan events and lead worship. I did them all. At the time, my worship team and I had made a CD and on a whim, I sent it and my resume to Willow Creek Church to be considered for the Jr High worship leader position.
I never thought I would hear from them. NEVER. But, I did and I headed off to Willow for a weekend of interviews. In the end, it wasn’t meant to be and that process helped me decide to put away my guitar and my event planner hat and concentrate on teaching.
Fast forward to 2006. Through an amazing relationship with a good friend, I was asked to apply for a position on the Jr. small groups team at Willow Creek. Low and behold they offered me the position and I moved my family to the Northwest suburbs of Chicago.
We loved it.
I can honestly say it was my favorite ministry position ever. I’ve been blessed to be apart of a lot of great Churches, but my goodness, I loved being a part of Willow Creek. I loved my job. I loved the team I worked with. I loved the Church. I loved the leadership. I loved it. I pinched myself everyday when I walked into the church to head to my office.
- I loved the Leadership Culture.
- I loved the teaching.
- I loved the direction of the Church.
- I loved the passion!
- I loved the heart to reach those far from Jesus.
- I loved the emphasis on excellence.
- I loved the way they took care of their staff (Not only the best staff benefits I’ve ever had, but the training and as well)
- I loved the team I had the honor to work with.
- I loved the fact that I could be a specialist. (I could concentrate on Jr. High Small Groups)
- I loved the Children’s ministry and I loved that my kids were a part!
- I loved the Student ministry and I couldn’t wait for my kids to be a part
You get the idea. Not only did I love it, but my family loved it.
To use what I learned and experienced from my time at Willow Creek for the Church that God’s called me to plant here in Central MI.
I love that God has me and my family right where He wants us and that He has is bringing a great team together to build a…
and Real Church.