Message Notes | |
Slide # 1…Series Graphic + Jason’s Social Media (F, I, T, Youtube)
Good morning Thrive Church!! How are we doing today!
- If this is your first time at Thrive, thank you for being here! We would love to meet you and for you to get a free gift and more info about Thrive! Just stop by the info table!!
- Everyone else, thanks for taking the time to fill out your connect card during the experience and dropping it off at the end.
- And, lastly, thanks for joining us online if your watching from a screen or your phone!
- We are starting a new series called DO GOOD and I hope we understand through this series that God goes with you. Wherever you go. Wherever you are. God goes with you.
- And, because He does, you have the power and the potential to do good.
- Did you hear that? EVERY SINGLE person here has the potential to DO GOOD!
STORY: Pastor from the Summit Gathering
- This week, I attended a pastors gathering for the Willow Creek Leadership Summit, which we’re a video host site on August 9-10! We couldn’t be more excited. Two great days of amazing leadership from a world class faculty.
- But, I was in a session with one of my hero’s, Harvey Carey. He’s a pastor who planted a Church in Detroit. He actually prayed over, it was amazing!
PICTURE OF JASON AND HARVEY
- Harvey was talking about Racial Inclusion and how the Church can be a place for all races.
- Well, a pastor was telling about how he was from Bowling Green, KY and it was a Refugee center. And, how many people there up in arms about all these new people moving in their area.
- And, how many Christians were upset and angered over this.
- This pastor decided that he would reach out to the director of the center. So, he did. This Pastor asks the director, what can I do, what can my church do?
- The director said, just be nice. Smile and be kind. That’s all we need!
- THAT’S SO TRUE!!
- Here’s what one of my ministry hero’s said about doing good…
Slide # 2…‘Kindness is an essential part of God’s part of God’s work and ours here on earth’ ~Billy Graham
- So often followers of Jesus fall into the trap that goes like this…I can’t make a difference in the world until I learn everything there is about the Bible and understand it at a very deep level!
- That’s just not the case.
STORY: Jossy Chacko at Stadia Banquet
- Leads a church planting ministry in India. In the states, they actually can’t use the real name because people want to kill him.
- His organization has planted thousands of churches.
- They use 22-24 year olds to plant churches, because sometimes by the time someone is old, they’re just too hard and set in their ways.
- They’re passionate and hungry.
- You can be used by Jesus to make a huge impact in Central Michigan!
- That’s what this series is all about.
- This series is about flipping how people think about sharing Jesus with the world!
- We often link sharing our faith to Bible thumping preachers, soul winners on street corners with tracts, or picketers with bull horns proclaiming firey ends to the passer by.
- We think, “I am not able to share my faith.” But the Bible paints a different picture.
- Sharing our faith means that we get to declare a kingdom where Love is law, small acts matter, kindness stands out, and draws the wandering home. Kindness illustrates God’s character, and is a way we all can share our faith.
- Here’s what James, the half brother of Jesus, writes about living out our faith…
Slide # 3…James 1:26-27 (msg)
Anyone who sets himself up as “religious” by talking a good game is self-deceived. This kind of religion is hot air and only hot air. Real religion, the kind that passes muster before God the Father, is this: Reach out to the homeless and loveless in their plight, and guard against corruption from the godless world.
- Here’s what I hope you walk out of here this morning remembering…
Slide # 4…Big IDEA: Love is the Law
- Remember those old Western movies? Someone would…I’m the law.
- Well, Love is the Law!
- Jesus showed us that and taught us that all throughout the Gospels.
- I love this quote by the great Dr. Martin Luther King
Slide # 5…‘Keep feeling the need for being first. But I want you to be first in love. I want you to be first in moral excellence. I want you to be first in generosity’. ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.
- The crazy thing about God’s Kingdom is He flips everything upside down. The first will be last and the last will be first. Love your enemies. It’s just crazy talk.
- But, when we trust in Jesus, our lives are no longer our own. He calls us to a life of TRUST in HIM! We have the knowledge to know that this life and time on planet earth is not our home. Our home is in heaven with him.
- I love what Billy Graham said so passionately…Someday you will hear that Billy is dead and that’s not the truth. He will be more alive than ever before.
- We have so much time here to use to make a difference and we can do that by LOVING people! By Doing Good!! Be Being kind!
- I Love this quote…
Slide # 6…”If you want to be holy, be kind.” – Frederick Buechner
- Jesus so perfectly lays out this kind of kind life in Luke 10. This is one of my favorite Jesus stories.
Slide # 7…Luke 10:25-29 (niv)
On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?” “What is written in the Law?” he replied. “How do you read it?” He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’[a]; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b]” “You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. “Do this and you will live.” But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”
Ok, before I go further. Not a law expert like we think. But an expert in the LAW. For Jews, the LAW was the OLD Testament, Gen-Malachi. And, they were experts. No joke, they started training kids at age 6 to start memorizing the TORAH (first five books). By age 13, if they continued on, they have memorized the rest of the OT. It wasn’t just an exercise in memory. They loved it! They knew it. They let the law guide their lives.
Let me pause really quick right there. 300 and some times, Jesus asks a question, 183 times in the Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke and John) people came to Jesus with a question. Only 3 times he gave them an answer. He typically asked a question with a question.
Again, another break in the action. See, the NT is filled with the OT. The expert here quotes two verses from the OT. Lev. 19:18 and Duet 6:4 and combines them together. Later, Jesus would call put them together as well and we get the Great Commandment from them. Love God, Love others.
Slide # 8…There is no one on planet earth that God doesn’t love
Slide # 9…”The first question which the priest and the Levite asked was: “If I stop to help this man, what will happen to me?” But the good Samaritan reversed the question: “If I do not stop to help this man, what will happen to him?””
– Martin Luther King Jr.
Slide # 10…Luke 10:30-34 (niv)
In reply Jesus said: “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him.
Slide # 11…Good can come from Unexpected Places
Slide # 12…
No one is born hating another person…People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite. ~ Nelson Mandela
Slide # 13…Luke 10:35-37 (niv)
The next day he took out two denarii[a] and gave them to the innkeeper. ‘Look after him,’ he said, ‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’ “Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?” The expert in the law replied, “The one who had mercy on him.”
Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.”
Slide # 14…Go Over and Above
Slide # 15…“To convert somebody, go and take them by the hand and guide them” ~Thomas Aquinas
Slide # 16…Go and Do
Slide # 17…“Kinder than is necessary. Because it’s not enough to be kind. One should be kinder than needed.”
― R.J. Palacio, Wonder
Let my heart be broken by the things that break the heart of God’ ~Bob Peirce, Found of World Vision
Slide # 18…No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted. ~ Aesop
Slide # 19…Challenge: Ask God to make you a Samaritan for someone today