Message Notes | |
Slide # 1…Series Graphic
- Good morning Thrive Church! How are we doing this morning? It’s EASTER SUNDAY!!!!! It’s the most momentous weekend in the history of the world! Bigger than any awards show, super bowl weekend, the world series, anything! Today we celebrate Jesus!
- My name is Jason Raitz and I’m one of the Pastors here at Thrive Church!
- I am so glad you joined us this morning! Make sure before you leave, if this is your very first time at Thrive, to head to the VIP room right after this experience and pick up your gift!!
- And for everyone, please take some time to fill out the Connect Card.
- Also, before we jump in, I so hope you will join us for our next series. It’s called…
Slide # 1a…#ForCentralMichigan graphic
- We’re talking about how we can Serve and Love where we live!
- And, on April 30th. We are leaving the building together and we are serving all around Central Michigan! We will meet at Celebration Cinema at 930am. Next Sunday you will be able to buy #ForCentralMichigan T-Shirts for $10 or 2 for $15. We would love for everyone to wear one. If you want to buy a few for us to give away, you can do that as well so everyone can have one.
- But, we are serving at Schools, we are serving the city of Mt Pleasant, a few shut ins, Hopewell Ranch, and the foster Closet.
- Let’s SHOW UP big time. There will be a registration link on our website.
- And one more thing to CELEBRATE!!! 6 weeks ago, we started the SAVE A SEAT campaign! We asked you to give over and above from your tithes to help make Thrive happen every Sunday.
- God moved! People from all over gave and I’m so thrilled to tell you that as of today, out of 1250 possible seats to be sponsored, 1253 have been sponsored! WE hit our goal!!!
- When Matt texted me the other with our final number, I had to LOOK AGAIN!!!
- And, that’s what we titled today at THRIVE. LOOK AGAIN.
- Have you ever needed to LOOK AGAIN? I feel like this is a constant phrase in my house. My kids can’t find something and they me or Tracie and we say, LOOK AGAIN.
- Then, I can’t find something, and Tracie says, LOOK AGAIN. I swear there are some days she’s like a MOTHER NINJA or a NINJA MOTHER and she doesn’t even have to get up. The kids are I are talking to each other about where something could be and without lifting her head, she says…’Oh, that’s in the closet under the basket, but inside a box’. Don’t be afraid to move stuff! Anyone relate?
- Have you walked through a crowded area and thought you saw a celebrity and had to LOOK AGAIN? I have! Many times!
STORY: Scottie Pippen in the Airport
- You kids out there. Your parents ever get a little touchy feely in front of you and you made the unfortunate decision to LOOK AGAIN to verify that YES, they where doing what you thought and now you’re doubly grossed out?
- Mom and Dads out there, you ever see something your kids did and had to LOOK AGAIN to make sure what you saw the first time was correct?
- Here’s a picture of 2 of my boys. This picture made me look again.
Slide # 2…Picture of Bob and Zach in Tuxes
- I mean, come on, look at those handsome guys! Ladies look out!
- Then, there have been other times where I’m like, I better LOOK AGAIN.
- Like this time with Bobby…
Slide # 3…Picture of Bob in Hot Dog Costume
- Yup, he wore this to the One Youth costume party and then he wore it home and then he wore it to bed. About a week later, I came downstairs and there was a giant hot dog playing the XBOX!
- Then, when my son Zach went to the Big Stuf summer camp last summer, which we’re going again in July and can’t wait, [OH…Golfers out there. This week you can sign up. We need 50 of you to play in the first ever One Youth Golf Outing on May 13th. We’re still also looking for sponsors. Why? We’re raising money to get our kids to experience the BEST summer camp in the world!
- But, from last years trip, I kept seeing a photo emerge on instagram of Zach and well, here it is…
Slide # 4…Picture of Zach in Whoopee Cushion
- Yup, he loved this Whoopee Cushion! He would wear it everywhere around Big Stuf and people would just LOOK AGAIN.
- Eventually, it wore him out and he lost the Whoopee!!
Slide # 5…Picture Zach sitting down in Whoopee Cushion
- So, just last week, I had one more LOOK AGAIN moment with one of my boys. Kai and I were on a walk and he wouldn’t come and I turned around and this is what I saw.
Slide # 6…Kai looking up at the sky, looking like an eskimo
- It took me a second, because I was rushing. I wanted to get done with the walk. I turned around and I was wondering what he was looking at and then I realized, he was just enjoying looking at the sky.
- You see, this little boy spent the first 3 years of his life in an orphanage and spent the majority of his time in 2 rooms and everything is new to him.
- I love watching him because he LOOKS AGAIN a lot!
- What I love about all 3 of these pictures and moments with my boys is that they were all out enjoying LIFE!
- Sometimes you and I need to LOOK AGAIN. Life has become stale or stagnant or the same ole story and it’s time to LOOK AGAIN. We become negative. We fall away from life giving relationships. We fall into dark filling relationships. We start to LOOK for things that are the opposite of Jesus to fill us.
- I love this quote by Dr. David Jeremiah…
Slide # 7…‘It’s time to begin righting the story of your life.’ ~David Jeremiah
- Not writing, as in with a pen and paper, but right-ing. Like, its time to get off our tails and begin living the life God intended us to live.
- I love how the book of John describes Jesus, because without him, we cannot do any righting of our lives.
Slide # 8…John 1:4-5
‘In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.’
- Jesus Christ is the creator of life and his life brings light to mankind.
- In his light, we see ourselves as we really are (sinners in need of a Savior).
- He lights the path ahead of us so we can see how to live. He removes the darkness of sin from our lives.
- Here’s what we need to understand about Jesus.
- What Jesus taught and what he did are tied inseparably to who he is. John shows Jesus as fully human and fully God.
- Although Jesus took upon himself full humanity and lived as a man, he never ceased to be the eternal God who has always existed.
- This is the truth about Jesus, and the foundation of all truth. If we cannot or do not believe this basic truth, we will not have enough faith to trust our eternal destiny to him.
- The disciples themselves had to LOOK AGAIN when they were told that the tomb was empty. fac
- So, when it comes to experiencing LIFE, are you ready to LOOK AGAIN or are you just going to settle?
Slide # 9…What are you looking for?
- Are you looking for success? Are you looking for comfort? Are you looking for happiness? Those things lead to an existence.
- Are these the things that you’re trying to LOOK AGAIN to find?
- Are these the things that you think will bring you LIFE.
- Do you know what LIFE really is?
Slide # 10…Life is what you are looking for, not just existence
- How many of us are just existing and not really living.
- So, what is LIFE?
- Life is existence drenched in meaning. Thank you Dr. Tom for that!
- Can you imagine if we lived that way?
- But, too often we settle for existence. Here’s the thing about existence
Slide # 11…Existence looks for SUCCESS
Story: Jason and his love for BMW’s
- So, once upon a time, I was in love with the idea of owning a BMW someday. True Story. If you know me, you’re kind of laughing, because I’ve always owned crazy clunkers. I owned a car once that you didn’t even need a key to start.
- Except now. About 6 months ago, we were blessed with a car and it’s the nicest car we’ve ever owned.
- But, for 4 years I lived in the Northwest suburbs outside of Chicago and BMW’s are everywhere. So, we have trackers, Amish and pick up trucks. Over there, they have BMW’s everywhere!
- Well, in 2009, I was burned out. I had been serving Churches since 1995.
- I started to work out at this gym and every car was a BMW. I started an MBA and one of my partners was like, Jason, with your work ethic and people skills, you could crush it at my company.
- I started to dream for that kind of success! I would dream of driving around in a BMW. Wearing cool sunglasses. Listening to Hootie and the Blowfish in style.
- Sometimes, we attempt to supplement existence with success. We want the validation that comes with achievement, or the security that comes with money.
- At the same time, I lead a small group of Jr high boys. I’ll never forget a night when we were going over questions and one of them was…if you could have anything, whnt would you want?
- This guy pipes up and I really respected his dad. I wanted to be his dad. His dad drove a BMW. Ooohhh.
- He said, honestly, I just want to play catch with my dad. He’s too busy. This kid had everything.
- Gosh, that day just rocked me.
- Here’s what I realized.
ILLUSTRATION: Dropper of water onto sponge.
- We think Success will refresh us. We think it will bring us life. But, it just leaves us dry. It really doesn’t do all that much!
- We think that if we were recognized with a promotion, if we had more likes on a Facebook post, if we had enough money for better things.Then, we would really experience LIFE.
- I know some people who do whatever it takes to succeed.
- I love what John Ortberg said about this…
Slide # 12…’Winning alone is called losing’ ~John Ortberg
- The truth about success is found in the book of Ephesians 1:6
Slide # 13…Long, long ago he decided to adopt us into his family through Jesus Christ. (What pleasure he took in planning this!) He wanted us to enter into the celebration of his lavish gift-giving by the hand of his beloved Son. ~Eph. 1:6 (msg)
- God graciously accepts us, though we don’t deserve it.
- When you and I trust in Jesus as our Savior, so much happens in our lives!
- We have been chosen for salvation, we were adopted, we were forgiven, we have the insight and wisdom of the God of the universe available to us, we have spiritual gifts, we have power to do God’s will and we have the hope of living forever!
- Life is so much more than SUCCESS!
Slide # 14…Existence looks for COMFORT
- Next we may try to supplement our existence with comfort.
- We want relief from pain, boredom, loneliness, and exhaustion that overwhelms us day to day.
- We medicate ourselves with alcohol, or substances, or food.
- We live for the weekend.
- We stay up late at night watching Netlix.
- We live in our parents basement and play videogames until we’re 32.
- We loosen our standards on dating so we don’t have to be alone any longer.
- That’s not living. That’s existence.
Illustration: Dropper of water onto sponge
- But again we are dry.
- Work is monotonous, your spouse becomes a stranger, suffering enters life, your schedule and pace of life is overwhelming.
- Comfort becomes your god. You do anything to just cope and be comfortable.
Story: Jason Coping
- A few years ago, a guy came to Thrive and Jesus started to change his life. He was baptized. He served. He loved his Church.
- Then, after a series of unfortunate events, he felt it was wrong of me to go on facebook and ask people to give our adoption fund. So, he went on his facebook page and kind of bashed me and the church.
- This sort of thing happens when you lead. When you have a big vision, not everyone is going to understand.
- So, as his post sat on the interwebs, people started to comment and some mean stuff was said. It hurt. I started getting texts and messages from people saying they didn’t agree. One Thriver tried to reason with him in the thread but he deleted them.
- Man, I was hurt. Now, as a leader, this stuff happens. Some of the Pastors I admire most have been ripped into like crazy.
- But, it was early on in our Church’s history and in my own leadership, I wasn’t quite ready to deal with that short of thing. Boy, God has worked in me now.
- So, I started to cope. I started to seek comfort and for me it was food. It was binge watching TV shows and I tried to drown that stuff out.
- The truth is, comfort won’t bring us life. It won’t bring us life drenched with meaning.
- Jesus told us how to experience that kind of life in Matthew 11
Slide # 15…“Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.” -Matthew 11:28-30 (msg)
- Jesus frees people from a life of comfort. Jesus promises love and healing and peace with God.
- Comfort is not living. That’s existence.
Slide # 16…Existence looks for HAPPINESS
- Finally we try to supplement our existence with happiness.
- We want the contentment, satisfaction, or exhilaration that comes through favorable circumstances.
Illustration: Dropper of water on sponge.
Yup, its still not enough.
- But our life sucks up everything we give it without any relief.
- We chase after relationships and flings, we dabble is substances that promise to alter our experience, or perhaps we are chasing after a fleeting contentment just out of our grasp.
- The truth is found in Romans 15:13…
Slide # 17…May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13 (niv)
- We don’t have to run to success, or comfort or happiness, we just need to go God!
- We have to LOOK AGAIN for Him!
- I love this quote by CS LEWIS
Slide # 18…“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.” ― C.S. Lewis
- Here’s the truth so many people are searching for…
Slide # 19..Jesus offers a life drenched in meaning.
- What we are really looking for is existence drenched in meaning. This is the Life that Jesus offers.
- Here is how Jesus said in in John 10:10…
Slide # 20…A thief is only there to steal and kill and destroy. I came so they can have real and eternal life, more and better life than they ever dreamed of. ~John 10:10 (msg)
- When you make the decision to follow Christ, give him your life and trust in Him as your Savior. Confidence of belonging to God’s family, peace of knowing God provides, and the purpose of a God directed life.
Illustration: Existence is boring. Take the sponge and dunk it and hold it up!
- Its up to you, you don’t have to settle for a mediocre life. A life that’s just about happiness and comfort
Slide # 21…Life is what you are looking for, not just existence