Message Notes | |
Slide # 1…Series Graphic
- Good Morning Thrive Church! How are we doing on this beautiful Sunday?
- If this is your first time with us at Thrive, thank you so much for being here this Sunday! Our 2nd Sunday at CMU!! Please make sure you either grab a VIP card from your Section Leader (Section Leaders please stand) or just head to the VIP room just after the experience. It’s just left when you walk out of either door and we would love to give you a free gift.
- OK, before we head into the message and the final week of ‘How to wreck your life’, I have something to share with you.
- As you know, this is a Church that exists for people who have given up on God and Church. That’s why we work hard to NOT be all that CHURCHY! We try to talk like REAL people. We dress comfortably. You have no idea how people stay away from church because they have nothing nice to wear. We like loud music. We like to laugh.
- We also incorporate stuff from our culture in our experiences. Many churches and christians try to shield themselves from everything and that’s just not us. We care deeply about people finding and following Jesus, not a list of rules and stuff that doesn’t matter.
- And, we CARE DEEPLY as a Church for Kids and Students. We want them to get our best. Not our scraps. This is where so many Churches screw up. If you walk around the kids areas, they are not great. Many churches don’t want kids running around.
- Again, not us. Our kids and students are not second rate Thrivers. They’re not Thrivers of the future. They are thrivers of today.
- Honestly, that’s the primary reason why we moved to CMU and did the SAVE A SEAT campaign. To create the BEST environment for kids we possibly could.
- My own 9 year old was so skeptical about the move. She was in tears one night about missing the old place. I just kept saying, just wait. Well, after last Sunday she doesn’t even remember we met in a theater! Hah
- But, one of our DNA statements to create ‘IRRESISTIBLE ENVIRONMENTS’. That’s why our banners look amazing. And the store is amazing. And why there’s music playing when you walk in. that’s what there are section leaders and a vip room and the store.
- Last week I was talking with Jacob, Thrive’s College Director and the director of Chi Alpha and I said, hey, you’re a great deal guy, find us a used inflatable for our kids. I mean, we have a ton of room now!
- On Saturday I get a call. He’s found a package of 9 inflatables. Way too much money but they were so awesome! I started to pray. We started to put our heads together.
- Sunday morning he stopped me at the door, what are going to do. Then, he showed me the photo’s of all them! I was like…OH MY GOODNESS.
- So, I started to have some conversations and one thing lead to another and…
- Thrive Church Now Owns 9 Giant Inflatable Games!!!
Pictures of Inflatables
- Check these out: A bounce House, a Giant Slide, a Jacob’s ladder, a 25 foot tall climbing mountain, a velcro wall, a bungee run, a slam and jam, a 32 foot long dual lane slip and slide, and a Zorb Balls track
- It’s pretty unbelievable!
- We won’t have these all set up every Sunday, it takes an army to move them! But, we will, when we have a new team of inflatable help, we will set up a few for kids each week! So, EASTER is going to rock!
- And, just think of the possibilities to use these for the Kingdom.
- We want to approach schools and offer them for Back to School Nights….for free.
- We’re dreaming of renting Finch out for Halloween Night and doing a Giant Halloween party for the community. Kids from 6-8, with all all 9 inflatables and pick up trucks for tailgate party, then college kids from 8-10!
- Dad FEST this year is GOING TO ROCK! We’ll have all 9 set up! Baptism and BBQ will have all 9 set up!
- We approached Community Church awhile ago and asked if they would allow us to store our trailers in their lot and they said yes from April to October. So, as a thank you, we’re going to offer some inflatables for their big VBS.
- And, then, I’m having our financial team and our staff look into renting them out. And, anything we make would be split between Chi Alpha, Thrive’s College Ministry and then either Thrive Kidz or One Youth trips, or the Shoe Project or the Church we want to plant in Ecuador!
- And again, these are going to be used to ATTRACT people to Thrive Church, to you and I and ultimately to JESUS!!!!!
- ISN’T God incredible!!!
- I thought we could pray and thank God and let’s thank Him for the Save a Seat Campaign.
- As of right now, $46019 has been given to help make this move. That means, all we have left is $3981. What I love about this campaign, is that it’s rooted in our future!
- Here’s the thing, CMU is not our forever home. Someday, Thrive will have a 24/7 building, that will be open 7 days a week. It will be a community center. It will have a giant play area for young kids, it will have spaces for tutoring, it will have a care center to help people who are struggling. And, oh yeah, it will be our Church.
- But, this move right now, will help us grow to be the size of a church that can begin saving and preparing for that.
- For now, we’re here at CMU and it’s AWESOME!
- If you want to help us reach our goal, and invest in our future, please give. We’re going to close this campaign up soon and we would like to hit our goal!!
PRAYER of THANKS!!
- This series has been great! If you want to wreck your life, be afraid of Failure. Be afraid to take the steps that God is calling you to take. Don’t forgive. Live with the bitterness and anger that unforgiveness causes. Settle for less. Keep living on a percentage of the amazing life that Jesus has promised you and then last week, we talked about making it all about you.
- If you’re social media is filled with constant images of yourself, you’re on your way to making it all about you.
- And today we finish with a look at Comparison.
- If you really want to Wreck Your Life, constantly compare your life to others. Because, what will happen, is that Envy and Jealousy will start to take over. They are Comparison’s best friends!
- I love what Teddy Roosevelt said about Comparison…
Slide # 2…‘Comparison is the thief of joy’ ~Theodore Roosevelt
- How do you know if Comparison is taking over?
- Well, do you keep track of all the new stuff your friends get? Do you notice if they wear new clothes? Do you add up how much all that stuff costs?
- Do you constantly look at your car, or your house, or your life and get upset they’re all not as nice as your friends.
- Nothing is never good enough for you. A few of us, we’ve already compared the movie theater seats with these seats. Now, these aren’t as awesome! But, a little sacrifice on our behinds is a huge benefit for our entire church.
- Do you wake up with facebook, eat lunch with facebook and go to bed with facebook? If you do, the Comparison monster is going to get you!
- I love facebook! I think it’s a great tool for the Kingdom!
- But, U of M did a study a few years about a very real disease called…’Fear I’m Missing Out’. It’s true and it’s real.
- Now, all Comparing isn’t bad. It’s how we learn as a kid.
- But, when our ego gets involved, and if our ego wants to be puffed up and we want to feel better about ourselves than someone else, this is where Comparision gets bad!
- We compare our cars, our stuff, our toys, our bodies, our TV’s and the list goes on and on.
- A little mass confession, anybody ever struggle with Comparison?
- This actually goes way, way back and runs all the way through the Bible, it’s the second sin in the Bible. We’re going to look comparing myself to other people is such a miserable, toxic, anti-kingdom way to live.
- We see this in the Bible in Gen. 4 with Cain and Abel. They each brought an offering to God and God looked with favor on Abel’s offering and not Cain’s.
- God loves it when we make giving and generosity a priority. So he teaches his people to not give the leftovers, but the first fruit of the harvest or the firstborn of the flock. Abel makes generosity a priority. Abel does that. Cain doesn’t.
- He just brings some. The implication is he’s doing it out of obligation or with a grudging heart or because he thinks he has to. Abel experiences what generosity does in a heart. He trusts God and he loves God and he’s living in the reality of God’s favor and dependence on God, and God loves that.
- God loves generosity. God is a generous God. Cain shuts himself off from that. Cain sees this joy in Abel, and it grates on him. It’s so interesting. Cain gets angry not at himself. He didn’t say, “Come on, Cain! You could do better.” Not even at God. He gets mad at his brother Abel. He thinks, “If Abel wasn’t around, I wouldn’t be feeling this pain.”
- There’s comparison at the very beginning of the Bible. It’s so interesting. Cain ends up killing his brother. Comparison and Envy were a part of the first murder in the Bible!
- So, how do you fight the Comparison Monster and his friends, Envy or Jealousy in your life? How do we stop them from taking over?
- Here’s how…
Slide # 3…Live like you’re an Original Masterpiece
- We Compare ourselves to others because some time, sometimes we just can’t believe that we’re an Original Masterpiece.
- We just doubt the amazing, incredible, never ending love that God has for his children!
- I love how Peter words what we mean to God in 1 Peter 2:9-10
Slide # 4…1 Peter 2:9-10
But you are the ones chosen by God, chosen for the high calling of priestly work, chosen to be a holy people, God’s instruments to do his work and speak out for him, to tell others of the night-and-day difference he made for you—from nothing to something, from rejected to accepted. ~1 Peter 2:9-10
- We have WORTH because of what God does, not for what we do! Our value doesn’t come from our success and what we can achieve. It comes from Jesus.
- Live like you’re an Original Masterpiece
- To be an Original Master Piece means that…
Slide # 4…You are part of a CHOSEN people
- 1 Peter says…But you are the ones chosen by God
- You may have been left off a team or not picked for dodgeball, or passed over for a job promotion, but the God of the Universe Choose You!
- I tell my kids all the time, if all the Madie’s were lined up and I had to pick one to be my daughter, I would pick you EVERY SINGLE TIME!
- You are CHOSEN!
Slide # 5…Psalm 139:13-16 (the message)
Oh yes, you shaped me first inside, then out;
you formed me in my mother’s womb.
I thank you, High God—you’re breathtaking!
Body and soul, I am marvelously made!
I worship in adoration—what a creation!
You know me inside and out,
you know every bone in my body;
You know exactly how I was made, bit by bit,
how I was sculpted from nothing into something.
Like an open book, you watched me grow from conception to birth;
all the stages of my life were spread out before you,
The days of my life all prepared
before I’d even lived one day.
You are CHOSEN!
Big Idea: Live like you’re an Original Masterpiece
Slide # 6…You are Part of a Royal Priesthood
Slide # 7…’chosen for the high calling of priestly work’
- Why do we waste so much time not doing God’s worl?
- God has given each of us gifts to be used for His Kingdom. And, here’s the thing, you don’t need an MBA to use these gifts!
- You can start today!
- You can help tear down Thrive Kidz. You can greet people when they come in. You can get here at 7am and help. You can pray with people. You can host a small group. You can sit with kids and model worship. You can serve at your kids school.
- There is this old thought out there, that only Priests or Pastors can do the God stuff. Like pray for people.
- That’s just not the case. At Thrive, if you are in a small group and get sick, that group should be praying for you. Helping your family with meals.
- Here’s another encouragement…
Slide # 8…2 Cor. 5:19-20 (the message)
God has given us the task of telling everyone what he is doing. We’re Christ’s representatives. God uses us to persuade men and women to drop their differences and enter into God’s work of making things right between them. We’re speaking for Christ himself now: Become friends with God; he’s already a friend with you.
- You don’t have to have all the answers, just be Jesus. LOVE. Be KIND.
- Defeat the monster of Comparison by
Living like you’re an Original Masterpiece
You are CHOSEN!
You are Part of a Royal Priesthood
Slide # 9…You are Part of a Holy Nation
Slide # 10…’to tell others of the night-and-day difference he made for you—from nothing to something, from rejected to accepted’
- When you became a follower of Jesus, an incredible change took place in your life. God has called you out of the darkness and into His light.
- We can now call God our FATHER and we are now a part of the Body of Christ.
- And, the CHURCH, is our community!
- That’s why BAPTISM is so important. On Sunday, April 23rd, we’re going to do BAPTISMS right here! Baptism is a way for you to go public with your faith.
- Here’s what a Thriver, Colette, said about her baptism at Thrive…
I was baptized Catholic and then later confirmed at the age of 12. I didn’t really come to know Jesus until I was an adult. And for a long time I didn’t really feel a need to get re-baptized. Until I did. And then this amazing church full of amazing people arrived in my life and I really started to wonder if maybe I needed to make that choice for myself as an adult.
I was one of the “original” baptizees (is that a thing? :)) at Lake Isabella. For me, the biggest thing I was saying to Jesus (and everyone else) was “I’m ready.” I had held onto the “new Christian” identity for a lot longer than was probably necessary. And so my baptism was me finally being ready to take responsibility for my faith, to say, “this is what I believe, and I’m ready for you to know that and I am ready to act it out.”
I’m by no means perfect (thank goodness, or I wouldn’t be allowed at Thrive! haha!!) but I clung to that “new,” identity in order to keep myself from really stepping out into full leadership.
My baptism was awesome, for the reasons above. But also because one of my best friends was the one asking me if I was ready to declare myself a believer. And I was.
- We’re encouraged in scripture that after we confess of our sins and repent, we should be baptized.
- Going under represents how Jesus died and was buried and coming out of the water represents how Jesus rose again from the dead.
- It represents how our old life is gone and we now have a new life.
- If you have never been baptized on your own. People ask me all the time, I was baptized as a baby, do I need to get re-baptized.
- I really don’t see it as a re baptism. The tradition of infant baptism, seems to me, is for the parents and the tradition.
- Being immersed is for each Jesus follower on their own to DECLARE that you are a child of God.
- So, you don’t have to be perfect or in the exact spot you want to be in, you need to have Confessed your sins, asked for forgiveness and given your life to Jesus.
- And, we will celebrate with you on April 23rd! You will get a MADE NEW T Shirt and this place will erupt with celebration as you come out of the water!
- You can sign up on our website under baptism or head to the info table and they can get you signed up!
Big Idea: Live like you’re an Original Masterpiece
You are CHOSEN!
You are Part of a Royal Priesthood
You are Part of a Holy Nation
Slide # 11…You are a People Belonging to God
- You are not a possession, but a priceless treasure to God!
- That means He is willing to pay any price for you. He has a passion to care for you. He places GREAT value in you. He Honors you and gives you a special place.
- So, let’s stop with the Comparison GAME!
STORY: Jason Struggles Comparing
- I struggle hard with comparing!
- As a Pastor, I struggle. I see seemingly super pastors on facebook who look amazing and preach like rock stars and I compare.
- I read stories from other churches and I compare. Church Plants that are our age and stage.
- Like, my buddy Brandon. His Church, Rise City in San Diego, launched the same weekend. Last year, they had a local church give them their 4 million dollar building. They raised $132,000 on Christmas Eve to just give away. They’ve already sent out two church plants.
- I FOUGHT THE COMPARISON AND ENVY MONSTER BIG TIME!
- Then, I was leading a webinar of church planters and I was sharing the story of Thrive and they all were like, HOLY COW!
- I remembered, we’re Thrive Church! God is doing a HUGE work here in this area and I can’t compare what God is doing in a much different area.
- I now, as soon as the comparison thoughts creep in, I try to just Celebrate as quick as I can!
Slide # 12…Live like you’re an Original Masterpiece
- Let me leave you with one last scripture…
Slide # 13…
Galatians 1:10…Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ. (niv)
Next Sunday is EASTER.
Please PRAY. I really believe this room could be packed next week! And, not because its cool to have a lot of people, which it is and there is so much momentum.
But, imagine hearing all those voices sing!
You just can’t tell me that someday this room won’t be absolutely filled!
Imagine hearing 1250 sing songs to Jesus in this room!
Imagine a church of 1250 people spreading out all over Central Michigan as a movement!
Live like you’re an Original Masterpiece