A church planter has a lot of roles. They wear a lot of hats.
I’ve been highlighting many of those roles on my blog. Just search church planting on my blog and you’ll find the previous 5 that I’ve talked about.
Honestly, I’m writing these as I experience them. Not always, but sometimes to some extent.
I think I have 4 or 5 more in the beginning process and soon I’ll publish them as well.
But, another role that I’m figuring out is to…
Seems pretty simple and obvious, right?!?
It’s human nature to envy. To be jealous. To compare. To wonder why someone else has more of something than you do. Or to wonder and obsess over someone else’s success.
Comparing yourself to another church planter or another church plant or another church will only harm your soul.
Seriously, it will harm your soul! Did you read that right?!? I hope so. The Comparison game is the WORST game! Comparing someone else’s successes or failures to yours is unwise…irresponsible…and honestly, a horrible decision.
Easier said than done. I get that. I’ve been there. I’ve obsessed. I’ve compared. I’ve wondered.
How do You Stop Comparing?
1. Pray for the success of others. YUP! That’s right. Straight up pray that God would bless the socks off the person or organization you’re comparing yourself too. It’s crazy hard. But, once you start, you won’t want to go back.
2. Stop the negative thoughts. As soon as a negative thought crosses your mind…
Seriously, stop it dead in its tracks. 2 Corinthians 10:5 has something to say about that. Check it out.
3. Be Happy. Yeah, be happy. Be happy for their success. Celebrate with them. If you know them…send them a card, a text or a message.
4. Stay focused on what God has called you to do. We spend so MUCH time and energy thinking and worrying and stressing about things we can’t control or don’t need to.
We need to remember that God has it all under control.
5. Be Thankful. Thank God everyday for the calling He’s given you.
Role of a Church Planter #5…Stop Comparing. Give it a try. You won’t regret it.