The short and simple answer is…Yes, Yes, Yes.
We will always need new churches because the local Church is the Hope of the World. Jesus established the Church to bring hope, to bring life, to bring joy to bring salvation and there is no shortage of people who need those things right now.
And, simply put, we don’t have enough churches to keep up with the incredible need that exists!
Here’s why I believe we need more Churches…
- “We know that church planting is tremendously effective. Church plants will grow 23 times faster than the average church that is 10 years old or older. Church plants will also reach five times as many people who are far from God as the average Church”. ~Dave Ferguson, Pastor of Community Christian Church
- “The average new congregation will bring 6 to 8 times more new people into the life of the Body of Christ than an older congregation the same size.” Tim Keller, Pastor of Redeemer Presbyterian Church
2. Many Churches are closing and need to be replaced. It breaks my heart that so many churches are dying and closing their doors. Here are some of the latest statistics…
- Between 50 and 75 U.S. churches close their doors every week.
- More than 80% of the churches in the U.S. have plateaued or are declining.
After reading that, you’re probably thinking what I am…why not spend tons of resources and energy on bringing new life to those churches.
Heres’s what Tim Keller says about the need for church planting…
The vigorous, continual planting of new congregations is the single most crucial strategy for 1) the numerical growth of the Body of Christ in any city, and 2) the continual corporate renewal and revival of the existing churches in a city. Nothing else–not crusades, outreach programs, para-church ministries, growing mega-churches, congregational consulting, nor church renewal processes–will have the consistent impact of dynamic, extensive church planting. This is an eyebrow raising statement. But to those who have done any study at all, it is not even controversial. ~ Tim Keller, Redeemer Presbyterian Church
If you want more information on why we do need more churches, check out this amazing article by Tim Keller. He answers this question a million times better than I do.
I personally believe the need has never been greater and I can’t wait to see what God has in store for our new Church.