Someone said to me recently…”It’s great what you do in schools, But your not in the trenches of youth ministry anymore”.
I guess that’s true. I haven’t been a full time youth pastor since mid 2010. But, at my last church I oversaw the next generation area and youth ministry has been my passion since 1995. That’s when a church said, “Yeah, come be our youth pastor”! Umm…I was 19! It was Awesome! And Challenging. And Great. And Exciting!
Fast forward to 2013. I started and run a non-profit called Live Now Leadership and we are a education based non-profit. Yup, you read that right. We are not a ‘religious’ based non profit. My hope was that by not attaching that to our By Laws, we would have more open doors in public schools.
What we do is a take a character based assembly message (Choose Kindness over Bullying) into schools for grades K-12 and we also lead a parent workshop called ‘No More Bullying’.
Talk about great ministry! I may not be in the ‘trenches’, but wow, I’m right in the schools! Here are some highlights:
- Sharing the gospel with a principal in his office. Yeah, I’m in the principle’s office a lot lately!
- Being handed a razor blade from a 13 year girl who was suffering from cutting.
- Receiving dozens of facebook messages about their stories with bullying.
- Talking to parent after parent and helping give some practical ideas.
- Hearing story after story of kids who are working on changing their schools and their homes.
- Talking with dozens of Pastors and youth pastors who are trying to help their local schools.
So, I may not be int the ‘trenches’ any longer. And, let me say this, there are days when I miss it desperately. I loved leading my boys small groups. Teaching students after week. Raising up students to teach. Leading students to love each other. Building a volunteer team. Training them.
But, I believe I’m still a apart of youth ministry…especially since my daughter will be 13 in 4 weeks!