Dear Thrive Church,
I don’t know about you, but I can’t wait till tomorrow. I have been waiting, anxiously waiting for Easter Sunday for months and I am so excited it’s almost here. Don’t get me wrong, I love every Sunday, you know that, but there is just something about Easter Sunday!
We have literally been preparing, planning and praying for Easter Sunday for months. Way before Christmas we started to dream and to started to talk about it. And, as the theme and scripture came together and God continued to put on our hearts what we needed to share, the excitement began to grow and grow. Then, our events team started to dream and put together a great plan as well.
And, now we’re here! This time tomorrow, Easter at Thrive will be in our rear view mirror. Before we get to Easter morning, I wanted to share a few things with you that have been on my heart.
I love our Church. I really do. I have loved our church since it was a dream in my journal. I have loved our church since it was only a discussion around a dining room table. I loved our church when a dozen of us gathered in my living room on Christmas eve a few years ago. I loved our church when we met in the Shepherd Bar. I loved our church when started meeting at Celebration Cinema and now that we have two experiences, and staff and more and more people. I love our church. I love what God is doing. I love what we’re about. I love it.
I love that we will do anything short of sin to reach people for Jesus. We will! Already in our short 78 weeks, we have attempted some crazy stuff. Most recently our shoe project! How crazy was that!?! Let’s keep dreaming! Let’s keep attempting crazy stuff. Let’s let nothing EVER stop us from reaching people for Jesus!
I love that we care about kids and students! We have to care more! We have to continue to raise the bar for our kids and students. We have to be a church that never gives its scraps to our kids and students. So, let’s pray for them. Let’s create great environments for them. Let’s do whatever it takes to pour into them.
I love that we’re all about Jesus. That’s it! We exist to help people find and follow Jesus! Not only to find Him, but then to learn how to be a fully devoted follower of Jesus. To be Jesus. To live Jesus. To love the world like Jesus loves. We have to be all about Jesus.
We have a HUGE day planned. Our band and creative team and events team and kids team have been working over time to make tomorrow morning the best Sunday it could ever be.
Let’s pray. Let’s seek God. Let’s ask God to move. Let’s beg God to break hearts. Let’s pour into kids and students. Let’s worship. Let’s love. Let’s live for Jesus. Let’s change. Let’s be more like Jesus. Let’s care more for others than we do for ourselves. Let’s give. Let’s give financially. Let’s serve.
I love our Church and can’t wait to see what God is going to do through you!
See you tomorrow!
Can you even believe it? This Sunday is Easter Sunday!?!
I don’t know what has kept you from Church.
I don’t know what has kept you from God.
I don’t know if you’re a part of a Church or not, but what I do know is that this Sunday is the…
Sunday to be at Thrive Church!
It’s perfect because…
1. You’re invited to Thrive Church! We would love to have you, your family and your friends at Thrive this Sunday. Simply put, we’re saving a seat for you! So, if you’ve ever wanted an invitation, here it is! Please come to Thrive this Sunday. We meet at Celebration Cinema at either 9 or 1015!
2. You’re wanted at Thrive Church! No really, we want you to be a part of our Church. And here me when I say this, don’t let the standard excuses stop you from being a part. What are those excuses? How about…’you don’t know what kind of person I am’ or ‘God couldn’t love someone like me’ or ‘if you knew my past, you wouldn’t want me at your church’.
Yup, I’ve heard them all. And…you are still wanted at Thrive Church!
3. Your kids will love Thrive Church! No, really, they will really love it. We have a whole wing dedicated to your kids. It’s fun, it’s safe and they will learn about Jesus.
Plus, this Sunday, right after each experience, there is a giant Easter Egg grab with 1000’s of Eggs, a bike give a way and donuts from Cops and Donuts!
4. You will enjoy the experience. I hear it time and time again that church is boring and that nothing makes sense. Well, at Thrive, trust me, you will be engaged and the experience is designed with you in mind. So, our band will play a few songs, some you will know and some you won’t. Many people will sing with the songs and they will sing loud! We’ll watch a video or two that will tie into the message and then I’ll teach a message straight from the Bible. Get ready, we laugh a ton, but we also take the message of Jesus very seriously!
So, this Sunday will be PERFECT!! Will you come? Will you bring your family? I sure hope so!
See you at Celebration Cinema at either 9 or 1015. Oh, I would be about 20 minutes early!! The seats fill up pretty quick!!
Why a new church…according to Tim Keller
So, this is embarrassing…I just accidentally pressed Publish, when I thought I pushed save and I sent out an unfinished post. Whoops! Ugh. I hate when stuff like that happens.
But, I’m continuing my ongoing ‘Role of a Church Planter’ series with this post on staying positive.
I was recently having a conversation with someone about my plans to launch Thrive Church.
It wasn’t the greatest conversation.
Honestly, it was pretty rough.
Now, I’ve had 1000’s of conversations with people about Thrive Church and I’ve had 1000’s of incredibly positive, helpful and amazing conversations.
But, this one was different. It was hard.
This person just couldn’t understand why I would launch a new church or how I could be called to do this. They questioned why more churches are needed and church planting in general.
I’m not proud of it. I wish I hadn’t been. But, I was.
I told them what Tim Keller said about why more church plants are needed. I told them about the people who have already come to Thrive Church and have heard about Jesus and how they didn’t have a church home. I shared with them the vision of Thrive Church and how we have a GIANT passion to reach people who don’t have a relationship with Jesus.
And…Still…they just didn’t get it.
We finished our conversation and they left and I sat there in silence for awhile. I thought about it, I processed it and honestly, it would have been really easy for me to stay deflated.
But, I reminded myself of this truth…
And, that’s ok!
Some people aren’t going to understand. And, some people aren’t going to support it.
The best thing I can do in those situations is…Stay Positive.
1. Remember Your Calling. I know that I know that God has called me to start this Church. I have to remind myself of that.
2. Remember the truth. When situations arise that Satan reminds you that you shouldn’t be planting a church, remind yourself of the truth of scripture. Remember that the local church is God’s plan A for reaching people and that there is a tremendous need for more churches.
3. Listen to the majority. Out of the hundreds, if not thousands of conversations I’ve had, only a a few have been negative. And yet, it’s so easy to dwell on those! We have to stop letting the few get inside our hearts and minds. Yes, we can learn from their view point, but in the end, we don’t have to agree with them.
4. Be thankful for those kind of conversations. Yes, you read that right! We need them! We need to be challenged. We need to experience push back. Why? It really does increase our leadership. It helps strengthen our vision and resolve.