I’ve been leading Thrive Church for 75 weeks! It feels like I could blink and we just started, but it also feels like an eternity that our church has been going! I’ve learned a ton and…
It’s exciting! It’s fun! It’s a thrill ride! It’s an honor to get a front row view of God changing lives…including mine!
It’s also hard! I don’t think a one step of the way has been easy. It’s been Ridiculously HARD! Uphill. Honestly, it can be heart breaking. It has brought a new level of stress and worry into my life. It has also brought pain.
The good far outweighs the bad and I would willingly climb a mountain of the difficult to keep climbing towards the call that God has given me.
All in all, I know that I am called to lead and Pastor Thrive Church and I absolutely love it!
All that being said, I’ve been doing some thinking lately about what I learned in the first year of my church. Needless to say, I learned a ton.
I had to break this post down into a couple of posts because the list of what I’ve learned ended up being a little long. Here is part one of what I’ve learned so far.
1. Vision drains fast! I’ve heard it said for years that vision leaks. I’ve learned first hand that it drains fast! Like, holy cow, it’s gone! I love Bill Hybel’s definition of vision…’a picture of the future that produces passion in people’. I love that and I hope the vision of Thrive Church does just that.
But, I have learned that vision does leak! I’ve got to keep to talking about the vision, telling the story of our vision and get people who understand our vision to talk about our vision.
2. Clarity is HUGE. I believe the more strategic and more thought out our systems, plans and strategies can be, the better! As much as I can roll with the punches, I love to have a plan. We have a Strategic Plan for the entire year. We have a master calendar that’s broken down into quarters with the major initiatives and goals for those quarters.
There’s too much at stake to not have a well thought out plan.
3. Building teams is a must. Thrive Church would just not exist without teams. Especially as a portable church! And honestly, it’s just hard! We are in a constant state of recruiting and a constant state of worrying about burning out volunteers. We have an amazing team who is at Thrive every Sunday at 7am to set up and I’m always trying to build that team.
Thrive Church just cannot exist without a ton of people being a part of teams.
4. Nobody will be as excited as you. And, I am excited! Probably too excited for some, but again, I know vision leaks. But, I’ve got to make sure I don’t have unfair expectations for my team and everybody else. Yes, I hope they are excited and passionate about our vision, but I never want to force it down peoples throats.
5. The financial pressure-stress-worry-anxiety can be overwhelming! Yikes! This is the understatement of the year! And, especially because we’re a bit aggressive with our vision. That means, we plan 5-6 big Sunday’s a year and already as a church we’ve given away a good amount of money!! Especially since we’re only 75 weeks old!!
What I’ve learned about the whole process of church planting is that I have to keep trusting in God. I know it sounds simple, but it’s so profound. Every step of the way. Every decision that’s made. Every day-week-month-year…I just have to keep trusting in God.
Here’s what I know so far…He is blowing my mind and my heart! He’s creating so many ONLY GOD moments that its undeniable that He is moving in Thrive Church.
I am just honored and blessed to be the pastor of Thrive and I know the best is yet to come!
Isn’t there an old Beach Boys song that goes…
I am pretty sure that song is all about a love relationship, but yesterday I was thinking about our relationship with God. And then that started me down the road of thinking about peoples relationship with Church.
And then I started to think about all the reasons people have given me to not be a part of a Church.
At Thrive, we can’t say ‘wouldn’t it be nice’ about the list below, because it’s true. So, look no further if you’re looking for a Church who…
We care about you. We care about the person God wants you to become.
We desperately want you to find a Church home and a place to care for you, pray for you, teach you about Jesus and encourage you.
We meet in a movie theater! Yeah, we actually do. A real–live–working theater.
Head over to Celebration Cinema’s at either 9 or 1015am and get ready!
Oh, don’t worry about wearing your Sunday best, just be you!
I’m going to cut right to the chase and I believe this passionately about Thrive Church…
They have to matter! And, every single adult who attends, who is a Thrive Partner, who volunteers, who gives and who prays for our Church has to be passionate about investing into them!
We have to invest amazing resources into our kids and students.
We have to be excited every time they lead.
We have to get them involved as much as possible.
We have to get them to camps and retreats.
We have to inspire them.
We have to encourage them.
We have to help them find and follow Jesus.
That’s why kids and students matter so much to our Church. They are not only our future, they are our now.
Have you been running?
Any mention of God and you just take off the other way.
You don’t even know how long it’s been since the last time you thought about God.
You have just been running.
Maybe you were hurt. Maybe life hurt you and you blamed God. Maybe a church hurt you and you blamed God. Maybe you asked God for answers and you felt like He never gave you any.
Maybe you were once part of a Church and you gave everything you had and you ended up getting hurt.
Ever since then, you have just been running.
And honestly, you’re getting tired of it. You’re tired of trying to do life on your own and you’re tired of feeling like God is nowhere to be found.
What if you checked out Thrive Church this morning? You’ve heard about it. You’ve seen it on Facebook? You have friends who go to Thrive. You’ve looked at the pictures online.
What if you took this step? What if you turned the other way and stopped running from God?
Maybe, just maybe you would meet God this morning. Maybe, just maybe He would speak to you. Maybe, just maybe you would meet people that really wanted you to be a part of their Church.
Wouldn’t it be great to stop running?
So, check out Thrive Church this morning. We meet at Celebration Cinema, yup…the movie theater, at 9 or 1015.
And, here’s the thing to know about checking out Thrive. Don’t worry! Just come. Come as you are.
I would get there about 15 minutes early!
See you in a little bit.
Oh, we’re talking about how we have been called to change the world…it’s going to be fun!!
I’m sitting in my office at the Thrive Hub and I am just…
for tomorrow at Thrive Church!
Sunday’s at Thrive are a just a piece of our church, but it’s so incredibly important because it’s when we all gather together! It’s when we listen to the biblical mandate of ‘not forsaking the assembling’ of the church together! It’s just an awesome experience and an incredible moment that happens every Sunday.
So, I can’t wait! Why? Because I LOVE MY CHURCH! I love the people that God has sent to be a part of Thrive Church. I love seeing the body of Christ in action. I love laughing with these people. I love digging into God’s word with this church. I love to see kids loved and taught about Jesus. I love to hear Thrive Church sing and worship! I love to see Thrive Church pray!